Volunteer/Chaperone

Volunteer/Chaperone

Band Fans Parent Organization supports all the Horizon High School bands. As parents of Horizon band students, we offer our time and talent to help the faculty and students maintain their high level of performance on and off the field.

Each of us has limited time to volunteer, but when everyone helps a little, we get a lot done.  We also have fun!  We encourage you to attend the Band Fans meetings and check this website regularly to keep informed of current needs.

Volunteer Needs

Our band program can’t run without parent support. We need volunteers and chaperones for games, competitions, and events; volunteers to staff fundraising activities; and volunteers to help build equipment and scenery. If you’re on the fence and would like more info about any of these volunteer opportunities, don’t hesitate to contact the parent who is listed or use the contacts in the right column to reach the Band Fans president. They’d be happy to talk it over with you. Please sign up if you have time, materials, or skills:

  • Game and Competition Chaperones – We typically need 14-16 parents to chaperone home and away football games and competitions. Chaperones help with equipment (water jugs, bench covers, banners, etc), supervision, and rolling percussion instruments on and off the field. It’s fun and easy and a great way to make friends with other HPR parents.
  • Backdrops Crew – We use a crew of six to assemble our backdrops, roll them on and off the field for performances, and disassemble them. At competitions, where we sometimes have to roll long distances, we like to have a couple of extra “rollers” to trade off.
  • Event Managers – We try to hold several fundraising events each year, like a 5-K run or a Movie Premiere.  Are you interested in leading or helping with a fundraising event for the Band this year?

Other Band Needs

This is probably a good time to mention that Band Fans is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, so your donations of cash and goods may be tax deductible.

  • Cash Donations – Parents pay fees that cover about 60% of the operating expenses of the band program each year. We depend on fundraising and donations to cover the other 40%. Anyone – grandparents, neighbors, employers, merchants – can donate, and our new Donations page makes it simple to donate online.

Volunteer Requirements

All volunteers need to be a current member of the HHS parent booster club, PAWS. All volunteers must also complete the Band Fans and PVUSD volunteer paperwork. Links to all the required forms can be found on our Forms & Docs page.